Missile Defense Agency STEM Education Workshop
July 15 - July 20
Missile Defense Agency (MDA) STEM will hold its free summer STEM Education Development (STEM ED) workshop in Richmond, VA from July 15-20. STEM ED is a formal professional development program for 4th-6th grade teachers and informal educators. STEM ED begins with a week long summer workshop during which educators explore STEM concepts in real-world contexts and develop STEM-related instructional activities aligned with state standards and rooted in research-based pedagogical strategies.
Workshop features include:
- STEM concept presentations and hands-on sessions with subject matter experts
- Educational excursions to museums and other attractions
- Demonstrations of STEM experiments and emerging technologies
- Discussion of research-based strategies for STEM instruction
- Standards-aligned instructional activity development
- STEM educational kits for classroom use
Following the workshop, MDA STEM professionals and university partners will continue to support participants throughout the school year as they implement STEM instructional activities. STEM ED participants accrue a minimum of 45 professional development contact hours toward teacher re-certification. For more information and to apply, please visit the website.